Here’s a quick look at some industry news you may have missed this week.
- Optopoetry: Poems & Drawings All About Vision, written by Pennsylvania College of Optometry (PCO) at Salus University student Jonathan Jacesko, has been published and is now available for purchase on Amazon and CreateSpace.
- The National Eye Institute (NEI) recently issued their latest announcement for Glaucoma Awareness Month, featuring 10 things patients should know about glaucoma.
- This past holiday season, doctors and students from the New England College of Optometry (NECO) provided vision screenings to the over 4,000 families and children from local area shelters and temporary housing who attended the Christmas in the City event at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.
- The National Academy of Engineering and Ohio University recently announced the 2017 Fritz J. and Dolores H. Russ Prize will be given to James G. Fujimoto, Adolf F. Fercher, Christoph K. Hitzenberger, David Huang, and Eric A. Swanson for the invention of optical coherence tomography (OCT).
- The University of Southern California (USC) Roski Eye Institute has joined the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology's (ARVO) OCT education and advocacy campaign, which includes a series of public-friendly videos, educational tools and advocacy resources on the disovery and development of OCT.
- Envision raised $446,000 at its ninth annual Evening with Envision: Phantom of the Opera Gala, making it reportedly the most successful result in the event's history. All donations will go toward funding programs and services that improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for those who are blind or visually impaired.
- Canon U.S.A., Inc. was recently named a recipient of a 2017 Buyers Laboratory LLC (BLI) PaceSetter award for Healthcare in the Hospital Networks category. These awards are reportedly given once a year to recognize vendors that offer highly impressive portfolios of devices, solutions and services for healthcare providers.
- Nationwide group purchasing organization Professional Eyecare Resource Co-operative (PERC) has entered into a partnership with optical dispensary management company Vision Associates to provide members with a "best-in-class" turnkey dispensary solution (see press release below).
- WestGroupe has launched new 2017 merchandising and point-of-sale material for FYSH UK (see press release below). The new program features a five-piece collection with a four-piece display with a swivel panel, one-piece display, display tray, name plate and tilting mirror that can be used together to create a high-impact section.
- Eyes of Faith recently launched a newly-designed website built for both practitioners and patients with online ordering exclusively for optical partners and tools to help introduce the brand.
- OrCam also recently launched its new website, featuring a new look with expanded features such as a user stories section, media page, user area with improved tools, and FAQ section.
- And next time you speak to a current medical student, you may want to give them some advice on how to deal with the pressure of their studies. A new study from the University of Michigan Medical School has found one in four medical students may develop depression, and almost one in 10 will contemplate suicide during medical school.
Click here to read the full press release